Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Today is Mardi Gras....RIP Mrs. Antoinette K-Doe!


Today the world and New Orleans celebrate Fat Tuesday. Today New Orleans lost one of it's finest, Mrs. Antionette K-Doe, owner of the legendary New Orleans bar and performance space, Mother In Laws, and wife of a pioneer of the New Orleans sound, Mr. Ernie K-Doe. I had the pleasure of meeting Antionette while I was down in New Orleans on a musicians activism retreat. She cooked us some really great cajun food and regaled us with so many wonderful stories of her late husband, the local music scene and her struggles when the hurricanes hit and flooded Mother In Lawes, leaving her trapped up in the attic for 12 days. She managed to save all of her husbands music memorabilia and photographs. Local musicians and Sweet Home New Orleans helped her to rebuild the bar and believe me it was one of the coolest places I've ever been to. In the brief time that we all spent with her I was so warmed and impressed with how much love she had for music and for her husband, all the highs and lows. She was a woman who to me exemplified unconditional love, passion and positivity. I'll always remember the kindness she showed us while we were down there and may she rest in peace.

No comments: